Antoine Farley and Marie Anne
In the signature below, Antoine Farley spells his name "Antonei Farely".
Antoine Farly ("Antonei Farely") was born in 1689 and was the first of the Irish Farley's to arrive in the New World.
Antonei arrived in New France in 1705 at about the age of 15 or 16 as a member of the Raudot entourage, Jacques Raudot, and his son Antoine Denis, were joint Intendants of New France. They served from 1705 to 1710 as Intendants. Antonei was one of the valets to Jacques Raudot's nephew, Chevalier d'Ussy, who had accompanied the Raudots to New France. At some point very early in his life (age 5 to 10) Antonei must have lived in Paris, France - early enough to become associated with the Raudot family in order for him to have become d'Ussy's valet by the time of their 1705 voyage to New France. Having arrived in New France without rank, d'Ussy had two valets. He was striving for the rank of Lieutenant.
Jacques Raudot was related to the powerful Pontchartrain family and had a distinguished legal career when he and his son, Antoine-Denis Raudot, were jointly appointed to the intendancy of New France. Raudot had a low opinion of Canadians in general, and resented Governor Vaudreuil's pre-eminent position. The last years of his term he spent unproductively feuding with the governor.
Antonei lived at the Palace of the Intendant while serving as valet to Monsieur d'Ussy. The Palace was located in the Lower Town of Québec City, before the Cote du Palais. It was situated in la basse-ville to the northeast on the banks of the St. Charles River, which springs from the Saint-Charles Lake and runs into the Saint Lawrence. It was a large house, made up partly of stone and wood. Parts of the palace also served as the jail and the king's stores. An archealogical survey was conducted on the site from 1971 to 2007 and artifacts were found from the first indigenous occupation, the first Euro-American occupation from 1666 to 1668, its function as Intendant Talon's brewery from 1668 to 1675, the first Intendant's Palace from 1684 to 1713, the new Intendants Palace and King's Stores from 1716 to 1760, its abandonment and reoccupation by soldiers and civilians from 1760 to 1852, its function as the Boswell-Dow Brewery, Bisset Smelter and civilian occupations from 1952 to 1971, and its present function as an archealogical interpretation center, fire station, and green space.
The palace was designed like the houses in France. The upper levels were divided by pine plank walls where Antonei would have lived with the other valets and other servants. The palace was protected by a 10 foot picket curtain as its location on the northeast escarpment was a weak spot to defend. The palace grounds were surrounded by picket and masonry walls. Numerous outbuildings complemented the compound, and formal gardens enhanced the landscape.
A measles epidemic spread through the palace in the summer of 1709, requiring hospitalization of four of the staff. Antonei was hospitalized from July 12 to 16, 1709, in the Hôtel Dieu Hospital in Québec and was listed as being infirmed. He was young, about 19 years old. The Augustine nuns of l'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec would have made note of his Irish origins. The causes of the illness were not recorded in the hospital's registers, but the annals indicate that the previous spring pleuresies had become epidemic. Yellow Fever had also reached epidemic proportions in 1709.
Chevalier d'Ussy was also hospitalized during that epidemic in February 1709. He returned to France in September of that year. Antonei remained in New France.
Antonei signed a marriage contract with his fiance, Marie Ann Basquin (Bastien), on February 9, 1710, before Québec Notary Florent de Lacatiere. Monsieur Raudot was among the people who witnessed the marriage contract. This is taken as evidence of a close relationship between Antonei and the Raudot family. Antonei was married to Marie Ann Marriage Record - PRDH No. 67877 and scanned copy of their marriage record Drouin Marriage Record in the Parish of Notre Dame in Québec City, on February 17, 1710.
Marie Ann was the daughter of Philippe Bastien and Marie Joly, and the granddaughter of Philippe Bastien dit Basquin and Marie Lefebvre. She was baptised on the 1st of June 1693 at Québec City. Marie Anne was one of 10 to 12 children, so even though Antonei did not have immediate family in the New World, his wife's family was large which would have provided Antonei with lots of family affection. Source: Tanguay, Volume 1, P. 28, and Volume 2, p. 134.
The registry of the Hôtel-Dieu Hospital records that "Antoinne farly" was again hospitalized on April 10th for a period of 20 days, leaving hospital on the 30th. In this record his age is given as 20 years.
Yellow fever, at the time called "the Siamese disease", sprang up in Québec City. It had arrived with a ship that had come to the port of Québec from the West Indies. The sailors on board ship had contracted the illness from the "Stegomya fasciata" mosquito, which had boarded ship in the West Indies and flourished in the heat and humidity on board. The sick sailors were taken to the Hôtel-Dieu hospital where they subsequently died. The virus also took with it six nurses and 12 priests. Because of the location of the palace, Antonei may have contracted yellow fever. The virus died out when the cold weather came to Québec.
Antonei's employment as valet to Raudot's nephew, d'Ussy, would have ended when d'Ussy returned to France in 1709. This would have allowed Antonei the opportunity to learn a new profession. Antonei may have entered the trade of "chapelier" as an apprentice under Pierre Bastien - his future brother-in-law. During his apprenticeship, Antonei would have had the opportunity to meet Marie Bastien.
After they were married, Antoine and Marie Ann lived in Québec City for about 3 months, then moved to Montreal, and on June 28, 1710, in the office of Notary Lepailleur de La Ferté, Antoine signed a lease for a house owned by Rene Fezeret on Rue Saint Paul in Ville-Marie (Montréal). In the lease, his profession is listed as "maitre chapelier" (master hatter). Marie Anne's father was also a "Marchand, Chapelier" (hat merchant). Marie Ann gave birth to a son, Jacques Philippe, on December 9, 1710, in the house on Sainte Paul Street Birth Record - PRDH 43711.
Sainte Paul Street is Montréal's oldest street and for any years served as its main thoroughfare. It was paved in 1672. It was named after Paul de Chornedey de Maisonneuve, founder of Montréal, who built a home for himself on the street in 1650. Much of Saint Paul is still paved with cobblestones.
Present Day Saint Paul Street, Old Montreal
On September 29, in the office of Notary Antoine Adhemar, "Antonei Farely" purchased a boutique in Montréal from Jean Guenet (Quenet). Jean Guenet had established the boutique in 1687 after having been granted permission from France to open a hatter's shop to make fur hats, fur blankets, and gloves. The boutique was located on "Rue de la Commune" in present day Old Montreal.
Antonei's and Marie's only child, Jacques Philippe, was born less than three months after the purchase of the shop in Montreal.
Apparently all was not going well at the boutique - within 5 months of its purchase Antonei and Marie were in urgent need of financial assistance. On April 27, 1711, in the office of Michel Le Pailleur, Royal Notary from the Island of Montréal, Antonei and Marie entered into an obligation with Pierre Cardinal from whom they received 200 livres and 8 sols. In this document, we learn that Antonei still owed on the purchase of the boutique and was behind on his house rent.
Under this obligation the loan was secured by the merchandise in the shop, i.e., the hats, gloves and blankets that may have been produced there.
Antonie disappeared sometime in 1713. He was recorded as being "out of the country". Because of his financial difficulties he may have returned to France to borrow money and was lost at sea or died while away. He may also have gone elsewhere in Québec to find additional financing and was killed. His family never knew what happened to him, and had him declared dead after seven years, according to French law.
After Antoine was declared dead, Marie Ann signed a marriage contract with Jean Baptiste Gareau-Lagarde, a sergeant in the Marines, on November 3, 1720. However, they never married. She married Jean Favre-St-Jean on September 15, 1732. She and Jean had two daughters, Marie-Hyppolite and Marie-Joseph. Sadly, Marie and Jean Favre were murdered during the night of May 13-14, 1752, by their neighbour, Jean Baptiste Goyer dit Belisle. At this time Jean was a gardener of the "Dames of the Hospital" (Grey Nuns of Montreal). An account of this tragedy can be found in the "The French Connection" in Chapter 9. Marie Bastien dite Basquin and Jean Favre were buried on the 13th of May, 1752, in Montreal.