In March, I went on a holiday to Osoyoos. My sister, Julie, has a time share there, and she invited me, Adrienne and Brad to join her there for a week. Cheryl and Larry were spending the coldest winter months there. As it happened, the cold weather came with us as we travelled west in Brad's beautiful truck. It snowed and we were amazed at the snow cover on the ground. Even though it was cold, we did some touring around. We visited flea markets in a nearby town, and went through the museums of the Osoyoos Indian Band.

Miniature Village in Osoyoos
Miniature Town - Train Set

Miniature Village in Osoyoos
Miniature Town - Train Set

Osoyoos in the Snow
Osoyoos in the Snow

Our hotel accommodation was a suite, with a bedroom, kitchen and queen pullout bed in the sofa. It was very comfortable. The Olympics were on, and we watched Scott and Tessa win the gold medal. We also watched lots of curling too - it was very exciting.

When it was time to go home, Cheryl and Larry decided to accompany us. They felt the weather was probably the same at home as in Osoyoos. They packed up Zippy 2 (Zippy 1 had been traded). Zippy 2 was packed to the rafters. We took 2 days to drive to Calgary so we wouldn't get too tired.

Zippy 2

One advantage about Zippy 2 is that she has air conditioning, which will make this summer very comfortable. She rides just as comfortably as Zippy 1 did. This is unusual for such a small car.

Drive Home
Snow on the Drive Home

Overall, it was a very good holiday. I really enjoy being with my family. I just wish that I could sell my condo so I could move to Rosetown to be closer to them.

In May, my granddaughter, Isabelle, made her First Communion and it was a beautiful ceremony. It was an extremely hot day, so we were all sweating in the church. All the little girls looked so beautiful in their white dresses, looking like little brides.

Josh Sees a Girl from School

Joseph graduated from Queen's University with a Law degree in June, and Cheryl, Larry and Julie attended the ceremony. They then toured Ontario and visited Reagan, our niece, and her mother, Kathy. Then, Julie went to stay with Darren and Susan and Cheryl, Larry and Joseph continued on to Quebec, where they visited Quebec City. This fall, Joseph will be employed by a prestigious law firm in Toronto as an Articling Lawyer.

Enjoying Quebec
Enjoying Quebec

My next trip will be to Saskatoon to attend my nephew's wedding ceremony. Cory is Adrienne's youngest child and his bride is from Brazil. I am looking forward to another family get-together.

I am continually working on my genealogy. Every time I search my ancestors, I find more information and go back further in time. It is very interesting because on some of the websites where they are listed, they list personal tidbits of information about them. For instance, I found that my Grandma Christine Olson had ancestors that suffered from anxiety, so we all come by it naturally.

2017 News

The year 2017 were very busy. In the spring, I decided to move to Saskatchewan. I was not able to sell my condo due to the real estate situation in Alberta today but I still intend to make the move as soon as I am able to sell.

In the summer of 2017, I visited my family in Saskatchewan, and attended a wedding shower for my niece, Anita. I also continued with my genealogy courses. Then, my friend from England, Carla, visited Calgary and I met her and her friend as well as a girl we worked with at the Calgary Public School Board almost 50 years ago. We had fun reminiscing and catching up on family news. Carla is such a good person.

My son and his family went on vacation to Europe this summer. They visited London, Paris, Venice, Rome, Lake Como, plus other places in Italy. They visited many museums and also toured the Vatican. Chris and Nancy celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary with the kids in Lake Como, however, they did not run into George.

In September, I attended the wedding of my niece, Anita. I stayed in High River in the same hotel as family and it was very enjoyable. We went shopping of course - High River has redesigned their shopping area since the floods 5 years ago, and they did a really good job.

Anita's wedding was wonderful. It was held at a ranch outside of High River. Anita looked so beautiful. It was nice to see all the Hamaliuks again, after so many years. I also had a really good visit with my brother, Murray, my sister and her fiance, Adrienne and Brad, my sister Julie, my nieces, Kerri, Nichole, Sarah, and Lindsay and my nephew, Evan. Lindsay's little ones are growing up so fast - her little girl was the flower girl.

Out of curiosity, my sisters and I had our DNA done by Ancestry.ca and it was very interesting. It is amazing how different the amounts of DNA we inherited from our parents was. I was not as Swedish as I thought I was, and had inherited more of my Farly (Irish) genes. My oldest sister was the most Swedish, and she even had a very tiny amount of Jewish genes. My youngest sister and I were the most similar. I am the only one in the family who did not inherit the Olson long back - short legs. Instead, I inherited the Boerjan figure. My son also inherited this body type, being very similar in build to my grandfather Bill Boerjan. However, he looks very much like his father, John Hinger.

I went to Saskatchewan for Christmas this year, and my nephew, Joseph, drove out with me. He'd just returned from France, where he attended a semester in Law at a university there. He is graduating from Queen's with a law degree in June. We had a really nice Xmas week there, although it was bitterly cold. When we arrived, Cheryl had put Joseph in the fifth wheel so he could have some privacy and his own bathroom and tv, however, because of the cold, he ran out of propane and had to move into the park model with us. Poor Joseph - he ended up sleeping on the kitchen floor.

My sister, Julie, and her daughter came for Xmas dinner. We had a great visit, catching up on her family's news.

We had to keep the thermostat set high in the park model in which my sister and her husband live because the pipes were threatening to freeze. In fact, the day before we left, the pipes did freeze and Larry, my brother-in-law, had to thaw them out. The company who built the park model had placed the pipes next to the outside wall, so they were not in a good place for winter. Larry is going to redesign their position and move them in the spring.

Throughout the week, we played board games and watched movies. It was a great week. Larry and Cheryl had a well-deserved rest because they had had a very busy summer, and they were both pretty tired.

2015-2016 News

The winter of 2015-16 was a very warm winter. We hardly had any snow and the weather was quite warm throughout most of the winter.

My very good friend, Joyce, and wife of one of my cousins, had a bad fall and had to go into a seniors residence. In the spring my brother, his wife and me went to visit her and she was doing quite well. She is such a nice, bubbly person and I am very fond of her. I also had a very good visit with my brother and sister-in-law. We went over some old pictures of the family but I didn't have my scanner along at that time. The next time I visit them, I will take my scanner and laptop and scan the pictures.

In the summer I visited Saskatchewan again for a week, staying a couple of days with each of my sisters. My sister that lives on the acreage was taking care of her son's dog, Timber, and I fell in love. What a beautiful dog. He is a purebred yellow lab and a service dog. My nephew was in the Armed Forces in Afghanistan and had many of the same problems other vets had when he returned home. Timber has been a great friend to him, helping him through some tough times.

We all really miss Evan.

In October, my brother, Evan, who had lung cancer, was told he only had about 2 weeks to live. About 3 weeks before that, we had all gone home to Saskatchewan and had a great party at my sister's in Rosetown. Evan was doing very well that weekend and really enjoyed himself. That was the first time we had been together in quite awhile. We were so glad that we made that trip and that Evan was doing so well then. He died at home on October 24, 2015, with his family and good friends around him. Before he died, the priest from Sandstone came and gave him the last rites. This priest was wonderful because he also baptised Evan's new grandson the next afternoon in Evan's room so Evan was able to be involved in the ceremony. The next day he fell asleep and did not wake up. His wife was so good - she took care of him the whole time he was sick and up to his death. I don't know where she got the strength, but she loved Evan alot and she wanted to do that for him so he could be with his family. Evan had an overwhelming funeral, with all his family and friends as well as his workmates that he had worked with over the years he was in the lighting business. Many of his customers over the years attended as well as staff from Sproule (his daughter works at Sproule and I had just retired from Sproule). It meant so much to me that these good friends from work came to the funeral. The priest from Sandstone conducted the prayers - he had suggested having the funeral in a large funeral home because he did not think that the number of people wanting to attend would fit into his church.

I visited Saskatchewan in April to care for my sister who had a hip replacement. She had taken care of me for both my hip replacements. I really enjoyed the time there - we had a really good visit. She is recovering well and will be on her feet without a walker in no time

2015 and 2016 News

2014 News

2013 News

2011 and 2012 News

2010 News

2009 News

2008 News

2007 News

2006 News

2005 News

News Home